Monday, September 14, 2009

about another matter


about another matter
(Poetry Anthology-July 2004)

Poems of S.Sivasekaram in translation


Butterflies of my dreams

Countless butterflies flapped their wings
In my childhood’s sleep
Butterflies that my mother saved for me
Butterflies that my mother’s mother saved for my mother
And I saved for my children

In these nights that reek of gunpowder
My children scream in their dreams

Who stole my children’s butterflies?
And who but I could restore them
To the hours of sleep of the children of my children?

S. Sivasekaram (1997)

A tribute to trees tall and erect
You love to tread on grass,
Short shrubs, you kick and trample.
Trees tall and erect refuse to bow.
Sword in hand you cut them down

Fools you know not the wonder of trees
That rise from root and fallen seed.

The day your weapons weigh you down
And metal yields to make a rope
That binds your hand and wrings your neck
The fallen will rise-
Like a forest around you

S.Sivasekaram (1989)