Saturday, January 15, 2005

Tidal Flames

TIDAL FLAMES

My mischievous little friend
Who sprang up and wetted my thighs
At the sound of my delightful laughter.

How did you roll into a gigantic wave?

With eyes shut, arms stretched, to lie down
You - gentle waves, bring back my lost mother’s lap
Singing lullabies – my mother.

Why became furious?
That manifested into ruthless waves?

You – a drop that fell as a tiny gem in my lap
A glittering tiny drop, I resist wiping off
Arise as flames and tell us your story.

I existed for all
I existed for all things
I am the body, I am the food

Grass or creepers, worm or giant trees
Or, skyscrapers you built
All same for me – understand you not.

I know no races; religions I know not;
Castes and money, weapons and knowledge
No matter for me.

I am your life,
I am your body
But in thoughts, differences you see.

You came to my shore,
I warned you loud.
You walked on the shore,
I wetted your feet and cried.
You - immersed in me,
I warned you in your ears.

Live United, I said,
Realized - you never did.

You to realize unity
Rose I as one -
Engulfed in one -
Will not your difference ever end?

“Neer Swalai” (in Thamil) By: Kamala Vasuki

Translated By: S.M. Felix

Third Eye
Local Knowledge and Skill Activists Group.