Thursday, September 03, 2009

WHY SHOULD I





















WHY SHOULD I

With borrowed plumes why should I decked my bride

When beauty unadorned in her excels

The glossy glory of invented spells?

To sing her grace why should I need a guide

When in her wondrous mind and form reside

The spring of all the muse that ever swells

Within my soul and other passions quells?

If yon ethereal light is cast aside

Can there be life and beauty on the earth?

If but the flower fair be hid away

How can the brush a perfect picture paint?

The bloom and gleamy orb possess the worth

That art inspires, and not the dye or clay:

Why then should I with stolen rhymes her taint?

D. J. B. JAGANAYAGAM (1930)

FREE-WHEEL (Collection of Poems)

First Published in 1950

Second Edition: 6-8-1966, Batticaloa.

Some Opinions on the 1950 Edition

R.H. Wickremasinghe, C.C.S., M.A. (Oxon):

“I think some of the poems excellent. English poetry I have always been greatly interested in and I hope you will write more in the future”

Fr. T. F. Long, O.M.I., M.A. (Cantab):

“This is poetry as distinct from facile versifying ‘More o’ that strain, an it please you’”

Review in the Messenger, Colombo:

“Witness the magnificence of the concluding sestet…

One feels here is the authentic voice of the true poet”

Review in the Times of Ceylon:

“This Jaffna poet contrives to please many in presenting his poems on varying subjects.”

Printed at the Catholic Press, Batticaloa.