Friday, August 27, 2010

My Monologue: Kamala Vasuki



A woman entering the stage in laughter,

----- (Miming) --------

Looking down at the cradle, taking the baby in her arms, hugging and making it sleep (humming a Thaladdu…lullaby)

Suddenly she hears the bombers, shells and bombs…

She runs with the child here and there…crawling and,

trying to keep her child attached to her stomach,…… so as to keep it back safe in her womb…

------ (Silence) ------

Then she rises slowly as there is a flood beneath her

She: It is rising,

the cruel hands of war is rising like flames

I will never allow its tips to touch my child

the cruel hands of war is rising like flames

I will never allow its tips to touch my child

------- (Miming) --------

She is rising the child up little by little, with her rising voice and rising body.

She keeps the child high as possible,

and

with a deep weep the child vanished from her hand

------ ( Freeze )-----

She then returns to a normal position and addressing the audience.

She: I would never ever allow this to happen, I would never ever allow this to happen

MY CHILD IS NOT FOR WAR.